- 610-mm (24-inch) cooling water pipe developed a leak as a result to internal corrosion
- 5 Bar (72.5 psi) Design Pressure
- 65°C (149°F) Design Temperature
- A 610 mm (24-inch) cooling pipe had sustained a leak resulting from internal corrosion and needed timely repair.
- A team of 3 local CSNRI trained technicians completed the 8-layer Contour repair in 3 days
- The line remained in service during repair
- No hot work was required
- No negative impact on refinery operations
When workers at a Benelux refinery discovered a leak in a 610-mm (24-inch) cooling water pipe, they immediately reported the problem. The owners realized that traditional repair methods would require the refinery to be shut down or introduce risks associated with hot tapping the line. Unwilling to contend with unnecessary hazards or incur production loss, the owners decided on a composite repair, looking to Interseal BVBA, a CSNRI distributor in Belgium that had worked in the refinery over the course of several years installing CSNRI products.
Responding from its Antwerp, Belgium, facility, Interseal was able to respond within two hours of the inquiry, providing CSNRI trained and certified installers to execute the repair using CSNRI's Contour Quad glass, and CS600.
The Contour repair was designed to ISO 24817 2018 guidelines, which provide requirements and recommendations for qualifying, designing, installing, testing and inspecting the external application of composite repair systems to corroded or damaged pipework, pipelines, tanks, and vessels used in the petroleum, petrochemical, and natural gas industries.
While refinery operations continued as usual, installers began preparing the line for repair around an area where a metal plate and ratchet straps held an O-ring in compression over the leak. With the pipe area ready for the installation, the team applied an eight-layer Contour repair.
Following standard installation procedures, 3 technicians executed the complete repair in 2 days without disrupting operations, delivering a repair with a defined life of 10 years for about half the cost of an alternative solution.