- 1,067-mm (42-inch) offshore gas pipeline
- 500 m (1,641 feet) repair length
- New construction
- New FBE-coated (Fusion Bonded Epoxy) pipe
- A 1,067-mm (42-inch) gas pipeline was being pulled through a 56-inch casing and along the seabed during an offshore installation
- Casing Spacers and Contour WA™ (now A+ Wrap) abrasion-resistant wrap were applied to preserve line integrity
- Materials shipped to the worksite within 1 week
- Two, 30-person CSNRI trained crews from a local distributor, worked around the clock to complete the installation in 5 days
- No hot work was required
- The products and installation allowed the team to meet an aggressive deadline
- The products will reduce maintenance costs over the life of the line
The project plan called for the pipe to be pulled through a 1,422.4-mm (56-inch) casing and along the seabed, which could be damaging to traditional anode collars placed along the pipe. The pipeline operator was concerned about potential damage to the anode collars used to preserve cathodic protection along the pipeline because metallic spacers are not designed to handle all the loading conditions that would be experienced during the pipe pull. Things had not gone well during the first pullout operation, during which the metal collars failed.
In addition to installation challenges, the entire job had to be completed in less than 5 days.
Looking for a company that could provide spacers as well as a composite wrap to protect the pipeline, the operator approached CSNRI based on feedback received from other contractors that had used CSNRI products as a solution on spiral welded casing pipe.
After careful consideration, the company decided to use centralizing casing spacers during installation of a section of line covered with abrasion resistant composite wrap.
Replacing metallic spacers with CSNRI Casing Spacers delivered a number of benefits. The spacers center the pipe in the casing, minimizing deflection while reducing friction, eliminating coating wear, and providing electrical insulation. This solution would not only reduce construction time but drastically reduce future maintenance costs.
Given the green light, the CSNRI engineering team designed a solution that would provide proper support for the loading conditions during the installation using 42 101.6-mm (4-inch) thick spacers 0.91 m (3 feet) in length along the line.
. The entire 500 m (1,641 feet) length of the line was protected with Contour WA™, an engineered, bi-axial stitched e-glass tape impregnated with a water-activated polyurethane resin. All the products for this installation shipped in less than 1 week.
CSNRI trained and certified installers from an authorized local contractor, performed the installation with two 30-person crews, 2 field engineers, and 3 assistants under the supervision of a CSNRI supervisor.
Technicians carried out the surface preparation as well as the Casing Spacer and Contour WA installation, alternating among operations to complete the entire installation in 5 days working 24/7. CSNRI products not only saved money but delivered reliable performance, cost savings, safety, and availability (product shipped in less than 1 week).
High product performance, cost savings, safety, and availability (product shipped in less than 1 week).