- 6-inch (152-mm) pipeline had sustained dents less than 7%
- 12 feet (3.6 m) of water
- 14 feet (4 m) below the mud
- A pipeline crossing Cedar Bayou, a major recreational area in Baytown, TX, had suffered damage and needed immediate repair
- The underwater repair posed challenges because time and cost restraints precluded building a cofferdam to install a weld sleeve and visibility was limited
- A Clock Spring certified trainer with commercial diving experience and certification assisted with the repair and subsequent inspection
- The repair was executed in a few minutes without taking the line out of service
A pipeline crossing Cedar Bayou, a major recreational area in Baytown, TX, had suffered damage and needed immediate repair.
The 6-inch (152-mm) pipeline located in 12 feet (3.6 m) of water 14 feet (4 m) below the mud line was dented, and the owner was concerned about potential environmental impact if the damaged line remained in use.
Because the pipeline was under several feet of water, repair would be challenging. The environment had to be protected, but time and cost restraints precluded building a cofferdam to install a weld sleeve.
To get a clearer picture of the damage, divers removed the concrete coating surrounding the dented area and inspected the line for cracks. Their assessment allowed a determination that a Clock Spring coil would be a suitable repair option.
Clock Spring mobilized quickly, supplying repair materials along with a certified Clock Spring trainer with commercial diving experience and certification to assist with the repair and subsequent inspection.
The installer applied a single 6-inch (152-mm) Clock Spring coil with special underwater adhesive to the damaged area of the pipe, completing the repair in a matter of minutes.
Despite the challenging conditions, this repair required no extensive construction or complex installation.
A trained diver was able to perform the repair in a few minutes with the line in service, meeting all of the owner’s requirements for safety, efficiency and environmental protection.
There are nearly 3,000 trained Clock Spring installers around the world who are qualified to provide repairs with Clock Spring products. Clock Spring regularly offers training classes for installers and can custom design training for individual company needs.